Those 8 crazy nights of Hanukkah are almost here! It’s not too late to put together a festive fete for your Jew crew and get gifts for your entire mishpacha (family). Whether you want to challenge the BFFs to a latke cook-off, find the ugliest holiday sweater, or get your boyfriend the ultimate present – we’ve got you covered with party themes, decorations, recipes, and a gift guide.
Hanukkah Party Countdown
- This classy tablescape from figtree & vine makes us feel like we are living in a West Elm catalogue this holiday season. They are going out of business, so grab your discounted décor while you can!
- Keep guests lit with the 8 drinking games of Hanukkah.
- You will be the coolest “Jew kid on the block” when you break out this menorah-saurus during candle lighting.
- Slip on your Hanukkah suit and bring your pals to Chai-vy & Cohen-vy Hanukkah Pop-Up. Bar or the Miracle on 7th Pop-Up Bar featuring a Jewish Chinese & Movies themed room for a selfie-sesh & round from the “shot-norah”.
- Take your latke game to the next level with these recipes from BuzzFeed.
A Very Jewish Christmas: Chinese & Movies
- Save your gelt, grab your wok, and throw together your own veggie lo-mein with these 30 takeout dishes from Food Network Canada.
- Paper lanterns make everything pretty.
- Have your guests personalize their own chopsticks while you waiting for the Chinese food to arrive.
- End your meal with these cute marzipan takeout boxes, or witty Jewish fortune cookies from Modern Tribe.
- A popcorn bar, because snacks. Oh, and the 100 best movies on Netflix. You’re welcome.
The Chosen Gift Guide
- Did you know the first Hipster Hanukkah Holiday Market is on Wednesday, December 6th at Social Tables? Get all the gifts on your list! (Editor’s Note: If you missed this event, check out Amazon.com)
- Your sister ran away to the warm weather for the holidays? Remind her of home with a Jewish Christmas scented candle from Homesick (butter popcorn + Chinese food flavor, oy).
- The Happy Hanukcat sweater is a must for the future cat lady in your life.
- Inspire your nephew to be the next Dr. Dreidel with this Jew Chainz tee.
- You’ve probably spent more than eight nights trying to think of something to get your boyfriend – Kveller has several great present ideas.
About the Author: Stacy Miller is a part of our “Gather the Bloggers” cohort of talented writers who share their thoughts and insights about DC Jewish life with you! She enjoys entertaining her large Jew crew at her home and is currently the Director of EntryPointDC, the 20s and 30s program of the Edlavitch DCJCC. She represents all things Northern Virginia as the Founder of NOVA Tribe Series and is a former GatherDCGirl of the Year Runner-Up. Most importantly, she wants you know she LOVES this community a-latke.