ATTENTION DC JEWS!
Purim. Is. Here.
(Well technically, Purim is Wednesday, February 28th – Thursday, March 1st. So, it kinda depends when you’re reading this page…)
Anyway, we know you’ve probably been eagerly counting the days until the so-called “Jewish Halloween” for the past 12 months, and have been having dreams of poppyseed hamantaschens, groggers, and The Book of Esther every night. But, just in case you haven’t been vigorously preparing for this phenomenal holiday, and it just kind of creeped up on you out of nowhere this year – not to worry!
Your favorite GatherDC-ers have your Purim needs covered.
Check out our roundup of the best Purim parties, hamantaschen recipes, and Megillah readings across the DMV! Oh, and if we missed an awesome event – submit it here or email Allie Friedman. And however you celebrate, we wish you a chag Purim sameach – a happy and joyous Purim!
- Thursday, February 22: NextDor Hamentaschen Baking
- Friday, February 23: The Vegan Option – Purim Edition
- Sunday, February 25: Not Your Ordinary Hamantashen: An Afternoon with Shannon Sarna, the Modern Jewish Baker
- Tuesday, February 27: Moishe House Columbia Heights DIY Hamentaschen Baking/Eating
- Wednesday, February 28: Sixth & I’s Grogger & Glow: A Purim Celebration
- Wednesday, February 28: Adas Israel’s livestream! Contact their office for access.
- Wednesday, February 28: The Great Washington DC Purim Party @ Chabad
- Wednesday, February 28: Purim Gets Wild at Adas Israel!
- Wednesday, February 28: TLS + Fabrangen Purim 2018!
- Thursday, March 1: Purim Seudah w/ The Ohev Young Professionals!
- Saturday, March 3: Purim Party with Moishe House DMV
- Anytime: Apply for Moishe House Without Walls funding and having your own party
- Any Friday: Reschedule your Purim Seudah for Friday night and host it through OneTable!
“Matanot Le’evyonim” (Giving to Those in Need)
- Sunday, March 4: Hunger Action at DC Central Kitchen
- Thursday, March 8: Hunger Action at the Edlavitch DCJCC
- Sunday, March 18: YP@AI Monthly Volunteering at Patricia Handy Place
Where to Get Hamentaschen?
- Bread Furst: Washington, DC
- Henry’s Sweet Retreat: Bethesda, MD
- Kosher Pastry Oven: Silver Spring, MD
- LeCaprice DC: Washington, DC
- Sunflower Bakery: Rockville, MD
- Make Your Own: Try out one of these 10 best hamentaschen recipes, and then give them to your friends as part of your Purim goody bags.
Funny Purim Articles
- Rogue Rabbi to host alternative Purim experience in a Synagogue
- Announcement: Happy Hours to be called All-Emotions Hours
- Generic Jewish Guy of the Week: Avi Shapiro-Weinstein!
- GatherDC Changes Name to JewishJewyJewsDC!
- Super Jewish Girl of the Week!
- How to Celebrate the Spirit of Purim Across DC – blog by Shira Cohen
- What Is Purim?– Chabad.org
- Purim 101 – MyJewishLearning