GatherDC’s signature Open Doors Fellowship is an innovative initiative that brings together and trains self-proclaimed “people persons” to become go-to leaders, conveners, and facilitators of DC Jewish life.
Now in its fifth cohort, this 6-month fellowship teaches a group of 8-12 extraordinary young adults from across DC how to be exceptional relationship builders and create a more welcoming, inclusive local Jewish community.
Fellows learn together at bi-monthly meetings, experience an immersive weekend long retreat, welcome DC newcomers to the city, and receive financial support to bring a unique capstone project to life – all while forming deep, lasting friendships with one another.
What do I get out of it?
– Professional leadership, program facilitation, communications, and team building training at bi-monthly learning sessions.
– Stipends to take DC newcomers out for coffee to help them find their place in Jewish life.
– An immersive, weekend long retreat to hone leadership skills, explore the landscape of Jewish life in DC, and learn how to develop meaningful relationships with peers in our community.
– Financial support to create a unique capstone project of your choosing that will enrich our local Jewish community.
– A network of professional staff and peers to be a go-to resource for you.
Should I apply?
– If you’re an outgoing, positive 20- or 30- something who is passionate about the Jewish community, a natural born people-person, and looking to become a leader in DC’s Jewish community, then yes.
– Also, you should have some time, energy, and enthusiasm to spare for the next 6-months.
When is it?
– The 2019 fellowship runs from February – June, beginning the week of February 4th. Click here for the Fellowship’s full schedule.
What exactly will I do as a Fellow?
– Attend 2 meetings/month to learn essential leadership and relationship building skills.
– Take young adults who are new to DC out for coffee (on us)
– Create and implement a unique capstone project to enrich the Jewish community
– Be a part of an immersive, weekend-long retreat April 13th-15th 2018
– Serve as a greeter and friendly face for peers at events across Jewish DC
OK, I’m in! How do I apply?
– Yay! Applications for the 2019 spring cohort are now open! Click here to apply.
NOTE: ALL are welcome to apply. It doesn’t matter how involved you are – or aren’t – in Jewish life, what your Jewish background is, your gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or nationality, we’re just looking for amazing young adults with potential to become leaders and conveners of Jewish DC.
– Email Jackie at email@example.com.
Want to meet past fellows?
Testimonials from past Open Doors Fellows:
“GatherDC’s Open Doors Fellowship is a group of relentless extroverts who love building connections and community, especially in a Jewish context. We spend months reaching out to newcomers and not-so-newcomers to DC, buying coffees, and schmoozing our way through GatherDC happy hours, to help everyone find their people.”
“The Fellowship allowed me to affect the Jewish Community by encouraging me to listen to the community’s needs, and providing me resources to create positive change.”
“The Open Doors Fellowship helped me remember what I love about my Judaism, as well as learn how to work with others to create a Jewish community that speaks more deeply to more of us.”
“As Open Doors fellows, we are hubs of the networks of relationships in the DC Jewish community. It was amazing to see how the connections we help facilitate between individuals in the community could quickly multiply into so many new connections.”
The true cost of the Open Doors Fellowship is $600 per person. We are able to offer this fellowship to participants at no cost due to generous support of our funders who believe that incredible young adults have the power to transform our Jewish community through peer-to-peer engagement
GatherDC welcomes the participation of interfaith individuals, and people of all abilities, backgrounds, gender identities and sexual orientations. GatherDC fosters inclusive communities and strives to accommodate all needs whenever possible. If you require special accommodations, please contact us in advance of the event at (202) 656-0743, and we will make every effort to meet your needs.