The Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of Greater Washington is the non-profit public affairs and community relations arm of the Jewish community, representing more than 100 Jewish organizations and synagogues and The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington. The JCRC focuses on government relations, Israel advocacy, inter-group relations, and social justice.
The JCRC serves as the representative of the regional Jewish community, the third largest in the United States, to government officials, faith and community leaders, educators, law enforcement officials, the media, and community institutions.
The JCRC is seeking a creative, dynamic and knowledgeable professional for its Israel Action Center Associate position. The position requires significant event planning, advocacy training, teaching, communications, and volunteer management on issues related to Israel.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
• Work with Israel Action Center Director and JCRC lay and professional leadership to develop strategies and innovative programs for Israel education, engagement and advocacy in the Greater Washington area for both Jews and the general community.
• Organize forums, briefings, training seminars, meetings with elected officials, rallies, and coordinate community responses to crises.
• Work with Israel Action Center Director to advance and develop high school programming designed to prepare students for engaging with, and advocating for, Israel when they matriculate to college/university.
• Work with Israel Action Center Director to serve as liaison to the Embassy of Israel in Washington, DC, other Israel focused organizations on the national and local level, and other Jewish organizations including synagogues and day schools.
• Serve as a resource for Israel and Israel advocacy information for synagogues and Jewish agencies.
• Prepare press releases and statements in response to events and crises in Israel and the Diaspora.
• Utilize social media to advocate for a strong U.S.-Israel relationship, build a connection between the Greater Washington community and Israel, and promote a pro-Israel agenda.
• Monitor press and media for bias against Israel and organize response.
• Other duties as assigned.
Position Qualifications/Skills and Experience
• A passion for Israel and a strong understanding of Israel’s history and its current geo-political challenges.
• Team player who can work well with the Israel Action Center Director and JCRC lay and professional leadership.
• Experience working with high school student in informal education settings (youth group, religious school, etc.)
• Ability to engage in challenging dialogues about Israel with respect, integrity, and openness to differences of perspective and disagreement.
• Proven ability to work with leaders of diverse backgrounds both within and outside of the Jewish community.
• Grassroots or legislative advocacy experience.
• Experience planning programs and events, and especially with managing logistical details and marketing for events.
• Self-starter and strategic thinker.
• Minimum of three years of professional experience with substantial responsibility.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Excellent organizational, time management, writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work nights and regularly on weekends (Sundays). Ability to speak, read, and understand Hebrew a plus but not required.
• The following computer skills are required: MS Office suite Word and Excel; and willingness to learn JCRC’s web management and database software Convio.
This Ad has been viewed 79 times.