Jews United for Justice (JUFJ), seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial person to be our first Major Gifts Officer. JUFJ’s budget has doubled over the past 5 years to more than $2.5 million, and we engage more than 10,000 people in the region. The inaugural Major Gifts Officer will develop and implement the organization’s first systematic major donor program. This is a full-time, exempt position that falls within a bargaining unit by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
This position will play an important role expanding the scope and scale of JUFJ’s philanthropic efforts, and helping formulate strategy and implementation of plans to achieve fundraising goals.
Lead Major Gifts Program
- In consultation, design and lead JUFJ’s major gifts program.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors at the major gift level ($1,000 level and above). Emphasis on growing the base of donors making gifts of at least $10,000 annually.
- Build relationships with donors and prospects. Identify opportunities for donors and prospects to support the JUFJ Campaign Fund, JUFJ’s Planned Giving program, or field partners.
- Provide data driven budget projections, and in consultation, track and assess major gift fundraising metrics.
- Collaborate to identify and qualify new prospects with capacity to give $100,000+. Emphasis on prospects in the Jewish community.
- Develop a comprehensive plan to upgrade current donors and identify and solicit new donors to meet budgeted goals.
- Execute donor briefings, house parties, etc to advance donors’ and prospects’ relationship with JUFJ.
- Execute major gift solicitations and manage major donors at JUFJ’s largest annual event, The Heschel Vision Awards.
- Represent JUFJ at philanthropic events.
- Work with Board of Directors, Leadership Councils, donors, and staff to foster donors’ connection to JUFJ’s mission.
- Provide reports to senior management, board, and volunteers.
- Prepare content for solicitation, cultivation, and development events, correspondence, strategic fundraising plans, reports and proposals.
- Manage current donor and prospect cultivation and solicitation plans using JUFJ’s technology, including EveryAction and iWave.
Partner with JUFJ programmatic staff to manage institutional relationships with major donors.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
At least 5 years in fundraising, development, sales or other relevant work and/or at least 2 years as a major gifts officer
Direct Donor Solicitations: Experience developing and executing donor solicitation and stewardship strategies for major gift donors and prospects.
Interpersonal Skills: Ability to develop and maintain trusting relationships with diverse stakeholders. Ability to meet people where they are, find common ground, and inspire people to give to and act on their beliefs.
Communication Skills: Capacity to synthesize complex information about JUFJ’s organizing and programmatic work into persuasive writing and strong verbal communication and match it with donor interest.
Aligned Values: Integrity, a commitment to racial justice, and alignment with JUFJ's mission.
Technology Competencies: Experience with EveryAction (NGPVAN/VoteBuilder), iWave and Asana, and Google Suite preferred.
Project Management: Ability to manage multiple projects, consult with stakeholders, anticipate obstacles, coordinate staff and internal resources, and support and maintain a positive working environment.
Strategic Thinking: Incorporate consideration of impact, resources, and institutional goals during development campaign planning and implementation.
Team Player/Professionalism: Reliable, self-starter, high standards. Holds self accountable for words and actions. Able and willing to meet with donors outside of standard business hours approximately twice monthly.
Data Driven Decision Making: Tracking and assessing major gift fundraising metrics to evaluate the efficacy of current strategies and adjusting as data indicates.
Eagerness to Learn: Inclination to keep learning, asking questions, and working to understand strategies in the field.
Compensation: $80,000 – $92,000 per year commensurate with experience
Benefits: Competitive package covering 100% of employee medical & dental insurance premiums, 25% of dependent premiums, 3% employer retirement contributions, short-term disability insurance, and generous paid time off, including 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave, and a sabbatical every 7 years on staff.
Location: Washington, DC or Baltimore, MD. All staff may work remotely unless attending an event or action.
JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter with your years of experience and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Major Gifts Officer" in the subject line.