Jews United for Justice (JUFJ), along with our sister 501(c)4 organization, the JUFJ Campaign Fund, is seeking a talented Communications Associate or Manager to support our work to advance social change in Maryland. This is a full-time, exempt position that falls within a bargaining unit by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
- Collaborate with staff to create compelling written and visual communications for JUFJ’s Baltimore, Montgomery County, and Maryland state work, including newsletters, action alerts, one-pagers, social media, op-eds, press conferences, etc. Provide communications support to other departments as needed.
- Follow and understand the details of our legislative work to write about it in an accurate, compelling way tailored to different audiences, including our grassroots base and the legislators we're working to persuade.
- Collaborate with organizers and volunteer leaders on official JUFJ testimony, op-eds, blog posts, etc.
- Work with Senior Communications Manager to support coalition communications requests and ensure all materials reflect JUFJ's commitment to racial equity.
- Work with Rabbi in Residence to incorporate Jewish values and framing into communications.
- Create content for the JUFJ Campaign Fund’s work in Baltimore, Montgomery County, and Maryland state.
- Use digital media to increase JUFJ’s reach and mobilize our community in Baltimore, Montgomery County, and Maryland state. - Develop and implement online mobilization and outreach plans.
- Livestream and/or take photos and videos at actions or ensure that others are assigned to do so.
- Update organizational websites with Baltimore, Montgomery County, and Maryland events and other content.
- Support outreach for the JUFJ Campaign Fund in Baltimore, Montgomery County, and Maryland state.
Administrative Tasks, Team Infrastructure, and Tracking
- Track and interpret communications data in EveryAction, Google Analytics, and other tools.
- Support large annual event communications like the Heschel Vision Awards, Labor Seder, and Maryland campaign kickoff.
- Discuss communications needs with the Maryland staff team and implement related projects.
- Provide support for press conferences and actions as needed.
- Attend staff meetings and other internal meetings.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Associate: At least 1 year of experience in communications, marketing, digital media, or digital organizing.
Manager: At least 3 years of experience.
Experience can be a mix of paid and volunteer. Preference for familiarity with the intersection of communications and organizing.
Communication skills: Clear, compelling, and personable writing. Can tailor a message to multiple audiences and edit others’ writing. Strong listening and verbal communication skills and a sense of humor.
Aligned Values: Integrity, a commitment to racial justice, and alignment with the mission of Jews United for Justice.
Exceptional teamwork skills. Ability to manage up, down, and sideways. View work as integral to the team’s success. Commitment to working in collaboration.
High Attention to Detail: Meets high standards in a fast-paced environment. History of managing a high volume of work without losing important details. A preference about the Oxford comma.
Problem Solving Skills: Able to manage and prioritize work when faced with competing deadlines. Excellent problem-solving and strong sense of ownership over tasks and follow-through. Willing to be persistent to get the job done.
Technology: Comfortable working with technology and experience with or appetite to learn about Google Suite, WordPress, Adobe, Canva, Slack, Asana, social media, and EveryAction / NGP VAN
Desired but not needed:
- Knowledge of Baltimore, Montgomery County and/or Maryland communities, politics, and/or advocacy
- Familiar with Jewish communities, culture, history, and/or texts
- Graphic design and visual communications
- Media relations/PR experience
- Strategic use of social and web analytics
- Understanding of the role communications plays in community organizing, progressive politics, and/or nonprofit work
Compensation: $50,000 – $65,000 per year commensurate with experience
Benefits: Package covering 100% of employee medical & dental premiums, 25% of dependent premiums, 3% employer employer retirement contributions, short-term disability insurance, and generous paid time off, including 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave, and a sabbatical every 7 years on staff.
Location: Washington, DC or Baltimore. Permitted to work remotely unless attending an event or action.
JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. You don't need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter with your experience and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Communications Associate" or "Communications Manager"