Machar is the Washington, D.C. area's Secular Humanistic Jewish congregation, with a membership of over 90 family units and a Sunday school with seven grades. Our members live in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. Now more than 40 years old, Machar includes many interfaith and diverse families. For more information see http://www.machar.org.
Machar is seeking a Congregational Administrator who is organized, personable, energetic, responsible, and detail-oriented. The position is permanent and part time (approximately 20-25 hours per week). Position may be paid on an hourly basis or a fixed monthly amount, and pay will be commensurate with candidate’s administrative support and bookkeeping experience.
Also, the position can be structured as a fixed price per month based on approximately half-time, or as an hourly position with not-to-exceed hours. Either way, it is intended to be flexible and roughly a half-time job. See below for additional details.
The position is available before the end of June 2023.
Job Responsibilities Include:
• Maintenance of member information in ShulCloud (congregational management system), maintain paper-based files (including from home)
• Responding to inquiries from members and potential members
• Overseeing communications, including regular email blasts, calendar coordination, website updates
• Working with the Rabbi, the School Director, Board, committees, volunteers, and other congregations
• Helping plan and organize holiday commemorations and events
• Overseeing day-to-day operations of the congregation
• Serving as Machar’s public face with potential members and with congregations within our international network
• Attend monthly Board meetings (currently held virtually)
• Bookkeeping and financial reporting using QuickBooks, ADP, and ShulCloud, including:
o tracking and reporting income and expenses
o payroll processing
o prompt payments to vendors
o production of financial and budgetary reports for board review
• Machar provides the Administrator with a laptop computer.
• The Administrator will work primarily from home in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area.
• Hours are reasonably flexible. Occasional weeks may be 30-hour weeks, with some 10-hour weeks. Some weekend and occasional evening work is necessary, including some attendance of school sessions and community events.
• At least one year of administrative or office experience
• Experience with QuickBooks, Shulcloud (or other similar accounting or congregation management systems), and payroll processing
• Motivated self-starter and team player
• Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
• Ability to manage and accurately process basic financial transactions
• Solid interpersonal and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
• Strength in working independently, but also in collaboration with others, including small staff of congregational rabbi, teachers and school director; the Machar board; volunteer members and committees
• Familiarity and comfort with secular humanism and/or Secular Humanistic Judaism and its principles is a plus
• Previous work for a membership organizations, with volunteer boards or on fund raising projects are pluses
The position starts at $30.00/hour and goes up from there based on experience. There is also the opportunity for increases as the new administrator gains experience in the position. Plus, there is an annual discretionary bonus.
Machar is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.