The ECDC African Community Center is actively recruiting for entry-level case manager positions. The case manager will provide direct services to refugees, SIVs, asylees, and humanitarian parolees. This position is full-time 9am - 5pm Monday through Friday. Salary is 50K. Further details are below:
Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc.
Silver Spring, MD
Position Title: Intensive Case Management Program CW
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Oversee case management for incoming community member in order to provide systematic,
coordinated, and timely service delivery that address community member needs holistically and
contributes to cultural adjustment and self-sufficiency, including:
• Follow established eligibility criteria; identifying needs; developing service plans; providing
general and mental health counseling referrals and other assistance; tracking clients
progress and conducting case closures; and assessing program effectiveness.
• Make appropriate referrals to social service agencies, community resources and other
organizations according to program guidelines such as Food Stamp, filing for disability and
age-related SSI, Medicaid and specialty housing, ESLand other training programs.
• Provide transportation assistance to and mediation at doctor's appointments and emergency
• Helping clients with medical paperwork management and record keeping.
• Train participants on navigating the healthcare system on their own including making
appointments and communicating pertinent information to physicians.
• Resolving eviction notices with landlords; connecting participants with community
emergency rental assistance.
• Assist other agency staff in targeting clients with acute barriers to be matched with
volunteers for extra adjustment support.
• Utilize a collaborative strategy with outside partners and organizations to address clients'
needs for intensive services such as mental health, developmental and physical disability
• Confer with medical service providers on ways to tailor their services, information, classes,
routine procedures, and systems to be more usable and beneficial to clients.
• Provide one-on-one and group socio-cultural orientation and crisis intervention on such
topics as maintaining a safe, clean home; health; shopping; budgeting, and other relevant
Job Summary: This position's focus is the provision of intensive case management services to
eligible refugees, asylee afghan SIV, victims of trafficking, and secondary migrants. The
intensive case management CW will help newcomers integrate quickly and easily within the
host community. The intensive case management CW will help clients learn how to access
services in order to achieve economic and personal self- sufficiency.
Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc.
901 S. Highland St. ▪ Arlington, Virginia 22204 ▪ Tel. (703) 685-0510 ▪ Fax (703)685-0529
Empowering refugees and immigrants since 1983
• Provide (access to) interpretation and translation services in refugee languages.
• Document each communitymember’s case through agency forms and case notes, indicating all
contacts made with and on behalf of community members, in order to provide internal and
external evaluations of program accomplishments.
• Conduct home visits and provide assessment of client’s current living situation. Document
• more usable and beneficial to clients.
• findings in client’s case files.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in social work, international development, or related field; or one
to two years of related training and experience.
• Fluency in language spoken by refugee population preferred.
• Self-directed, motivated, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Knowledge of public benefits system in Maryland: TCA, Medicaid, Food stamps, SSI, and
• Previous experience interacting with refugees and general knowledge of resettlement
practices in the U.S.
• Strong written communication skills, ability to write reports and to make presentations.
• Highly organized, detail-orientated and extensive documentation skills required.
• Cross cultural sensitivity and knowledge with the ability and desire to work with people of
• Maintains punctuality for work, appointments and report dates.
• Must work well in a team setting.
• Possess a valid driver’s license and access to own transportation
• Required computer skills: Word, Excel, Internet, Gmail, Outlook. Comfortable utilizing
new programs and databases.
• Background check and clean driving record.
Licenses/Certifications: Must have a driver’s license and good driving record.