The Alvin Browdy Religious School at Ohr Kodesh Congregation is looking for an organized and creative educator, who has experience cooking with children. We want to introduce a kitchen-based specialist to our Wednesday afternoons to work with our 1st-7th grade classes on a rotating basis throughout the year.
The ideal candidate
- Is familiar with the ethno-culinary traditions of global Jewish communities, and can explain how food connects to culture, history, and Jewish law.
- Can plan lessons around particular dishes that include active engagement at different age levels, making substitutions as necessary for diet and allergies.
- Is familiar with kashrut and able (with training) to guide others within a kosher industrial kitchen.
- Shares menus and provides ingredient lists at least 10 days in advance.
- Believes in the competence of children, and can build upon skills over the course of the year.
The Jewish Kitchen Educator will be on site 4:15-6:30pm each Wednesday that school is in session, a timeframe that includes preparation and cleanup. Salary for this position starts at $45/hour.
Want to teach in a classroom instead of a kitchen? We have openings for teachers at all age levels for fall 2022, Wednesday afternoons and Sunday mornings.