Jews United for Justice (JUFJ), along with our sister 501(c)4 organization is seeking a full-time Communications Associate. Due to COVID-19 regulations, all staff are working remotely at this time
1. Collaborate with staff to create both regular and one-off communications for JUFJ’s Baltimore, Montgomery County, and Maryland statewide work, including compelling written and visual content for newsletters, action alerts, one-pagers, websites, petitions, op-eds, press conferences, etc. Provide communications support to staff in other departments and jurisdictions as needed.
2. Follow and understand the details of our legislative and policy work in order to write about it in an accurate, compelling way that is tailored to different audiences, including our grassroots base and the legislators we are working to persuade.
3. Support organizers and/or volunteer leaders by writing, editing, or tracking testimony and other requested written materials.
4. Support coalition communications requests as needed.
5. Participate actively in ensuring all materials created reflect JUFJ’s commitment to racial justice and equity.
1. Use digital media to increase JUFJ’s reach and mobilize our community to advance campaigns for social change. Work closely with community organizers to develop and implement plans for online mobilization and outreach.
2. Create and maintain the content for JUFJ’s Maryland-focused social media, share management of social media accounts for select coalitions, and support social media needs in other areas across the organization as needed.
3. Livestream and/or take photos and videos at actions and press conferences as needed
4. Update organizational websites with events, blog posts, and more.
Administrative Tasks, Team Infrastructure, and Tracking
1. Work with our data management platform, EveryAction, to input, track, and interpret communications data.
2. Monitor data, analytics, and other metrics, and distribute information to the appropriate people.
3. Facilitate weekly communications meetings and take responsibility for tasks and projects generated there.
4. Maintain a press list and provide onsite support for press conferences and actions as needed
5. Attend jurisdictional organizing team meetings as needed
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
2+ years of experience in any of: communications, digital media, grassroots organizing, political/issue campaigns (mix of paid and volunteer experience). Preference for experience or familiarity with the intersection of communications and online or grassroots organizing.
Communication skills: Clear, compelling, and personable writing, ability to tailor a message to multiple audiences. Good editor with strong listening and verbal communication skills.
High Attention to Detail: Have a preference about the Oxford comma. Demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards in a fast-paced environment, and a history of managing a high volume of work without sacrificing quality.
Exceptional teamwork and ability to manage up, down, and sideways with colleagues and volunteers. View your work as supporting the whole, and as integral to the team’s effectiveness. Sense of humor, low ego, and a genuine commitment to working in a collaborative team setting.
Project Management Skills: Able to effectively project plan and manage and prioritize work when faced with competing deadlines. Excellent problem-solving skills and a strong sense of ownership over tasks, including follow-through, and willing to be persistent and do what it takes to get the job done.
Technology: Comfortable working with technology and have experience with– or want to learn about– Google Suite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WordPress, Adobe, Canva, and EveryAction.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
1. Basic graphic design skills
2. Familiarity with Jewish communities, culture, history, or texts
3. Media relations/PR experience
4. Knowledge of Baltimore, Montgomery County, Maryland, or DC communities, politics, or advocacy
5. Understanding social and web analytics, such as Google Analytics, to drive strategy
-Compensation: $48,000-56,000 per year commensurate with experience
-Benefits: JUFJ offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical & dental insurance premiums, 25% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions, short-term disability income protection insurance, public transportation stipend, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave
-Location: Full-time position based out of JUFJ’s Washington, DC office; the chosen candidate may have the option to work out of our Baltimore, MD office with supervisor approval.
You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Communications Associate in the subject line.