Tifereth Israel Congregation (TI), an egalitarian Conservative synagogue, has been in Washington, DC for over 100 years. Our vibrant community takes pride in caring for members in need while engaging in social justice issues in our neighborhood and beyond. We are located 2 blocks from beautiful Rock Creek Park, just south of Silver Spring, easily accessible by bus, car and bike.
The Administrative Assistant (AA) position is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in developing non-profit management skills. The AA provides critical support to TI staff, members and lay leaders, and is the initial point of contact for members, visitors, vendors and others.
The AA is a team player with a pleasant demeanor, sensitivity to all forms of diversity and excellent organizational and communications skills. We are looking for someone eager to learn the ropes and who wants to help the synagogue thrive, bringing their own talents and creativity to the job.
OVERVIEW OF DUTIES
- Field phone and written inquiries
- Manage routine office and building systems
- Organize and maintain electronic and written records
- Assist the Executive Director
- Print materials for communications, worship and programming
- Perform administrative tasks related to ritual, programming and development
- Manage online registrations
- Additional duties will be assigned based on the needs of the synagogue and the skills and interests of the AA.
- Excellent customer service communication skills
- Familiarity with membership management systems or ability to learn
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel and Publisher
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a close-knit team
- Familiarity with Jewish holidays and customs, or eagerness to learn
This is a 20 hour per week position with a normal schedule of 9 am to 1 pm, Monday to Friday, at a rate of $21 per hour. Additional hours may be available occasionally depending on the AA’s availability and congregational needs.
To apply for this job, send a resume, cover letter and contact information for 2 work supervisors to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Administrative Assistant.
Tifereth Israel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, sex, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, age or physical ability.