Who we are:
The Morris Cafritz Center for Social Responsibility (MCCSR), a department of the Edlavitch DC Jewish Community Center (EDCJCC), offers both hands-on volunteer opportunities as well as learning about systemic inequality in our communities. We draw on Jewish tradition to guide us in working towards a more just and equitable world. Our volunteer opportunities are designed to be family-friendly, flexible, and accessible whether you can commit one hour a month or a few hours a week. We offer our volunteers the opportunity to build lasting relationships with agencies and clients over the span of years, or volunteer once and try a different project the next time.
Behrend Builders is a signature program of the MCCSR that offers the community three types of volunteer opportunities: environmental stewardship (park clean-ups, tree planting, river clean-ups); community beautification projects (painting and light landscaping for schools, community centers, and social service agencies); and minor home repairs for low-income homeowners. The Behrend Builders Coordinator will oversee this portfolio of projects, building relationships with both volunteers as well as partner organizations and individuals who receive our assistance. The Behrend Builders Coordinator will also be key in assisting the department during our four large-scale annual days of service, which are “all hands-on deck” events.
• Create, plan, and execute monthly Behrend Builders programs for groups (schools, corporations, etc.) and individual volunteers; this involves basic “handyman” knowledge such as how to operate tools, paint, put together picnic benches, and assist with minor home repairs
• Work with groups (schools, corporations, youth groups, etc.) that request volunteer opportunities through Behrend Builders to customize group volunteer experiences that fit their needs
• Support the team during our four annual major days of service
Volunteer Management and Communication
• Develop, deepen, and maintain relationships with both new and repeat volunteers
• Work with marketing team on all marketing and communications for Behrend Builders programming
• Maintain all administrative components of the program including waivers, program registrations, etc.
Who you are:
• You believe deeply in the power of civic engagement as a path to changing individuals and communities for the better.
• You love hands-on work and being outdoors; you prefer to be out and about rather than sitting at your desk for 8 hours a day.
• You understand that volunteer engagement is about customer service, and that providing an excellent participant experience involves paying high attention to detail, so you put the utmost care and thought into all program and event logistics you oversee.
• You are highly professional: you understand and respect boundaries and the sanctity of client and volunteer confidentiality at all times.
• You are a relationship-builder extraordinaire: you love meeting new people, hearing their stories, remembering important details about them, listening deeply, and striving to understand the complexities of their realities from a culturally competent perspective whether they are clients, volunteers, partner agency staff, Board members, or colleagues.
• Knowledge of basic construction and skills such as painting and landscaping
• Ability to manage, inspire, and successfully engage volunteers
• Valid driver’s license and comfort driving company pick-up truck on a regular basis
• Ability to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays (comp time offered)
• Skills and experience in working with diverse groups of people
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Well-organized and detail-oriented
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative, be proactive, and work independently
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and Google applications a plus, ability to learn new software
• This position requires the ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
Salary and benefits: The starting salary for this position is $45,000, commensurate with experience. The expected start date is October 2021, but we will continue searching until the right candidate is found. This position must work on-site out of our Washington, DC building.
We offer a generous benefits and vacation package that includes:
• Paid sick and vacation leave
• Paid time off on all major Jewish and federal holidays
• 401k plan with employer contribution
• Health, dental, and vision insurance
• Family membership, which includes access to the fitness center, pool, and free/discounted tickets to programs and classes
• Flexibility and weekly remote work available
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for and interest in this position along with how you learned about the opening.