Congregation Etz Hayim Preschool Director Position
Congregation Etz Hayim -- a warm, inclusive and egalitarian Conservative congregation in Arlington, Virginia -- is looking for a full-time director for our preschool. The Preschool Director oversees the daily operations, forwarding the preschool’s goal of addressing each individual child’s personal developmental needs through an atmosphere of learning that is nurturing and enjoyable. The Preschool Director’s responsibilities include recruitment, management and development of staff, marketing and communication, financial management, updating the curriculum as needed, and partnering with synagogue leadership to integrate the preschool into the synagogue community. The successful candidate will proactively identify the needs of the Preschool, plus help expand the preschool program and overall visibility in the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Recruit, hire, train and supervise Preschool teachers.
• Recruit and retain students.
• Oversee the daily operation of the Preschool.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with Preschool families.
• Participate in the planning and preparation of special events and holiday celebrations.
• Integrate Preschool activities and families into the synagogue community.
• Prepare and adhere to budget.
• Ensure the maintenance of the Preschool’s webpage and social media.
• Create policies and develop curricula.
• Be proactive and innovative in ways to help grow the Preschool.
• Understand VA State Guidelines, including the religious exemption, and adhere to them as applicable.
• Education -- Minimum: Associates Degree in Early Childhood Development (or related field) with 15 credit hours in ECE or related field. Teaching experience a plus. Preferred: Masters Degree in ECE or related field, multiple years teaching experience. School administrative experience a plus.
• Meet one of the requirements for a program director in Virginia as described in 22VAC40-185-190.
• Possess a love for children as well as a demonstrated record of success in teaching, leadership, and/or educational administration.
• A knowledge of Judaism, Jewish education, and service to the Jewish community.
• Demonstrated strong leadership and administrative skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Demonstrated skills in marketing strategy, community engagement, and financial management.
• Strong ability to work collaboratively with leadership (the synagogue’s Rabbi, Education Director, staff and lay leaders).
• A commitment to educational excellence, community growth, and financial sustainability.
More detail on the preschool:
Etz Hayim Preschool offers a play-based curriculum through a Jewish lens. Lessons are child-centered and allow children to choose activities of interest to them while providing opportunities for cognitive, social, emotional and physical growth. The Preschool day is designed to give children age 18 months through pre-kindergarten free-play time as well as structured, learning experiences. The curriculum has been designed to provide a Jewish atmosphere throughout the program. Themes introduced throughout the year are Jewish holidays, self-identity, family concepts, the natural world, health and safety, math concepts, American celebrations, etc. The children are given a sense of Jewish identity through the weekly observance of Shabbat, the celebration of Jewish holidays and the introduction of Hebrew through songs, stories, and conversation. Through regular exposure, children gain a familiarity with the synagogue environment.
The Preschool Director oversees all aspects of the school. In addition, we are in the process of examining ways to grow and expand our program in the future. The ideal candidate will be able to increase the Preschool’s full-day program and overall visibility in the community.
Compensation & Benefits:
Congregation Etz Hayim offers a competitive salary and benefits (both commensurate with experience). Position to start June 1, 2021 (or sooner if possible). Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.