- Is it time for an Israeli cannabis club? Israeli government approves guidelines for medical marijuana, establishing a state agency responsible for the authorization and processing of medical marijuana requests.
- Fact or a fiction? Did a Kotel prayer really try to “bribe” God with a $100,000 check made out to “The Western Wall”?
- The Bank of Israel issues a new solid gold coin called “The Western Wall.” (This indeed is fact.)
- In reaction to the U.S. credit rating downgrade, the Tel Aviv Stock Market had its largest one-day drop in almost three years.
- Birthright for the US House of Representatives! Eighty-one congressmen will visit Israel during Congress’s summer recess for week-long trips sponsored by the American Israel Education Foundation.
- New Jersey Nets Jewish player Jordan Farmar signs with Maccabi Tel Aviv, as NBA lockout continues.
- The German city of Cologne is banking its future on its Jewish past. With a $52 million investment, the city hopes that this major excavation project to unearth the city’s medieval Jewish quarter will bring in the tourists.
Candace Mittel is a GTJ summer associate