Jews for Jesus at Dupont Metro (North)

I suppose they’re gatherers too (below) …  Jews for Jesus provided some literature this morning at Dupont Metro North.

We at GTJ have a fairly flexible notion of what makes a person a Jew.  But Jews for Jesus fall outside our lines.

A commenter mentioned yesterday on a GTJ post that a person remains a Jew if he has a Jewish mother, even if he is a professed Christian, Muslim, etc.

I have to disagree.  If you renounce Judaism, or if you join another religion, you’re no longer Jewish.  We believe in free will as a people.  Surely this includes the free will to exit?

Or… if you’re a Jew who believes Jesus was divine, that’s very nice and fine, but you’re no longer a Jew — you’re probably a Christian (but I’ll let Christians address that issue).

1. Kenny
    Kenny says:

I agree 100% with Stephen. This cult is not Jewish, should not call themselves Jews, and should not be included in this website.

2. jonathan
    jonathan says:

These people should go out and get a job!!! The Christian bible actually calls the adherent to mind their own business and work quietly with their hands.

In my estimation Hashem will decide who is Jewish or not, or who goes to heaven or Hell. Even the great Yochanan Ben Zachai, the “great hammer”, when he was on his deathbed lamented that before him were two paths, one which lead to heaven, the other to hell, and he did not know to which one Hashem had consigned him.

Probably best to check your own backyard before pronouncing judgements on others.

3. Jon
    Jon says:

Freedom of Speech exists not to protect the speech we love, but to protect the speech we hate. That said I think these people are pretty awful and deceptive, and I have no problem with them being openly mocked (or told that they are handing out misleading stuff).

• Stephen Richer
      Stephen Richer says:

Oh I’m not going to deny their right to share their literature… I’m just not going to bring them into the GTJ circle.

4. Sean Trank
    Sean Trank says:

Unless people listen, they will never hear or understand where someone is coming from. It is foolish to dismiss a persons opinion especially when so many people hold the same opinion. Jews for Jesus does not care about the standards on men about what makes a Jew a Jew, but they are concerned about the standards of God. A Jew is one who is born in the line of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and if God has indeed sent the Messiah and if it was indeed Jesus, then those Jews who rejected their messiah are just as separated from the Will of God as a Gentile who worships Baal. But I believe that all of this was prophesied by Isaiah in the 53rd chapter, that our people would reject their messiah. Today many will still reject Jesus because God has yet to remove the veil from the eyes of our people.

5. Will
    Will says:

Sorry Stephen, but free-will doesn’t apply to whether one is a Jew or not. It’s something you are or are not. Simple as that. A Jew is a distinct entity with a Jewish legal definition.To be a Jew one must meet one of the following criteria: a) Jewish mother or b) conversion in accordance with Jewish law.

Someone who is born Jewish or has had a proper conversion will always be Jewish. If you are Jewish, you’re stuck with it no matter what, like it or not. It’s brought down in the Kabbalah that every single Jew and Jewess possesses a Jewish soul, which is a unique type of soul. It’s not a choice.

Now what IS a choice is whether or not one chooses to observe the Jewish religion and to what extant. This is whithin our range of free-will. May we all make the right choice!

Sidenote: The following may offend some readers, but keep in mind I am not advocating my own subjective opinion, but am merely citing Jewish law so don’t shoot the messenger! Ok…there is NO such thing as a ‘half-Jew.’ I hope we all learn to eliminate this term from our collective vocabulary. A person with only a Jewish mother is fully Jewish no matter what. A person with no Jewish parent, a Jewish father and not a Jewish mpther , or no legitimate conversion is a non-Jew and yes I am disregarding the opinions of Reform Judaism and the Nazis. Again I realize this is a heavily emotional topic. Non-Jews too have an important role in serving G-d and making the world a better place. The Jewish soul travels exclusively through the mother so let’s hear it for all those Jewish ladies out there!

• Stephen Richer
      Stephen Richer says:

Yeah. I guess I just disagree about your definition of what makes somebody Jewish. Fortunately, others do too.

• Will
        Will says:

Not my definition Stephen. As I emphatically stated above it is not my personal opinion, but Jewish law (Halacha).

6. Will
    Will says:

Let me add that it is very distressing and sad that a sizable portion of Jews are lost to other religions including Christianity. They remain Jewish in the basic definition, but their Jewish soul is not receiving the sustenance it needs. The Jewish soul is tailor made for spirituality and if it doesnt receive it from Torah and
    mitzvos, it will often seek it elsewhere. Torah is water for the thirsty Jewish soul. Other religions may be fine for others, but a Jew needs Judaism in order to reach his/her fullest potential.

Sadly many of these groups prey on those of us who received little or no Jewish education. The Jewish spiritual speaker unable to refute the clever claims of prosletyzers and who are finally finding some meaning and acceptance in life will often fall victim to tactics of groups like J4J. One way to minimize the damage is try to expose Jews who’ve stumbled into such circumstances to the beauty of Judaism. However, we must be proactive. The only vaccine is making sure we educate ourselves on what it means to be Jewish. It’s your heritage and birthright – like it or not 😉 – so u may as well learn about it. I promise you will not be disappointed.

7. Valerie Walker
    Valerie Walker says:

I’m Jewish – with both a Jewish mother and father. Why is it mitzvoh to look for/expect the Messiah but a crime to find him? I’ve read the Torah, and the other writings in the Tenach. I think Jesus (Y’shua) fulfilled the prophecies to tell who the Messiah would be and that he actually is the Messiah. How is this not Jewish? Every Jewish person needs to read our scriptures for himself/herself. Don’t let someone else interpret everything for you and spoon feed you only one way of looking at things. At that point, you will be in a cult.

• Will
      Will says:

Hey Valerie,

It is indeed a mitzvah to yearn and wait for the Messiah. In fact, the Talmud teaches that when we pass away one of the first questions we are asked by the Heavenly Court is whether or not we prayed for the Redemption.

Judaism is a religion of scholarship, which involves a careful analysis of biblical texts sourced in Oral tradition. The entire basis of our faith was a national revelation as opposed to a lucky individual or several individuals experiencing a communion with G-d.

I understand that you may think that you have come to a correct conclusion in regards to the Messiah based on your study of the bible and of the claims of Christianity. I understand that it may be frustrating to see Jews reject what seems like the Messiah our very own Holy book promises. You are owed an explanation. This is a subject that requires a lot of attention, but I will suggest the following article: http://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html <- 'Why Jews Don't Believe in Jesus'. Also, you may want to discuss your queries with your local orthodox rabbi.

All the best.

8. D
    D says:

Regarding the birth parent(s) issue, you’ve gotta love that halacha totally discounts the father when it comes to halachically determining who’s Jewish by birth and who’s not. Maybe that’s why the dating scene in the non-orthodox Jewish community is so difficult: only the guys have to marry Jewish to have Jewish children… The ladies can choose whomever they please. BTW, the original rationale (“you can always tell who the mother is, but not the father”) is without merit nowadays. The rabbinate should wake up, smell the DNA-testing coffee, and adapt.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Disappointments: My favorite president of the four regular runners — Jefferson — took an early lead in the President’s Race, but he got knocked down by Washington on the final stretch, and Washington wound up winning it all.  Jews for Jesus stood outside the metro for the Ballpark; I’m guessing this had something to do with Jewish Community Day…  My second Jews for Jesus spotting in 4 days. […]