In any case, here’s what you missed while you were off watching parades and fireworks:
- The American captain of U.S. boat, “Audacity of Hope,” is arrested in Greece after trying to illegally sail from Greece in the planned flotilla to Gaza and is charged with “disturbing sea traffic and endangering passengers.” “But we were only carrying letters of solidarity and love!” Alice Walker exclaims.
- United States Congress leaders convene in Washington to pay tribute to Shuvu Return, an Israeli school network that provides an outstanding education to Jewish children who emigrate from Russia to Israel, and to the memory of Congressman Charles Vanik, whose dedication to the cause of Soviet Jewry, allowed for millions of Russian Jews to make Israel their home.
- Radio talk-show host, Glenn Beck, is set to address a Knesset committee about fighting the delegitimization of Israel. (Remember, this is the same guy who promoted the work of a Nazi sympathizer and told Fox News viewers that “Jesus conquered death…If he was a victim, then he would have come back from the dead and made the Jews pay for what they did.”) Hmmm…
- Another conservative pundit, Michele Bachmann, also makes Jewish news with her recent video on Israel posted by her campaign, impressing her pro-Israel supporters.
- Is Bachmann’s criticism of President Obama on his policies toward Israel consistent with the opinion of American Jewry? U.S. Jewish support for Obama may be on the decline.
- Rabbi Yosef Shalom Elyashiv, the leader of the Lithuanian haredi Orthodox community, underwent successful carotid artery surgery in Jerusalem. At the remarkable age of 101!
- A new set of superheroes are zooming to Israeli children in a TV animated series about 5 green super-powered kids who save the world from environmental disasters. (A slight improvement from the most recently introduced “super-hero.”)
- Israelis scream for… goat milk ice cream? Gourmet and low in fat, this new ice cream concoction will compete against Ben & Jerry’s and Häagen-Dazs. (Sounds like a chik-fil-a-esk ad campaign…“Eat more goats!”)
- Japan thanks Israel and the dedicated IDF medical aid delegation that traveled to Japan in late March to treat earthquake victims.
- The first woman officer to command a sniper platoon graduates from the Ground Forces officer course, making IDF history. (Take that, Beck.)
Candace Mittel is a summer associate at Gather the Jews.